Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Dr. Seuss Day

The primary school celebrated Dr. Seuss's birthday on Friday with a dress-up day and parade. Cale and Ewan both wanted to dress-up this year. Cale wanted to be the Lorax again. I think he picked this character because not too many kids dress up like the Lorax. Ewan picked the Cat in the Hat. I waited until pretty much last minute to assemble the costumes, but I did have a vision of what needed to be done. Overall, I think this effort was much better than last year's Lorax costume.
We had the orange shirt and gloves for the Lorax. I had to sew an orange hat for Cale's head (that barely fit) and cut out a mustache and eyebrows. I tried to dye the mustache and eyebrows with a yellow fabric dye, but that totally washed out when I rinsed the fabric. Andy came to the rescue by rubbing in some food coloring to dye the fabric.
For Ewan's costume, I ended up buying his hat, gloves and tail. We had the black clothes. I got some red ribbon for the bow and used some of the fabric we had left over from the Lorax costume for the furry belly. Black pipe cleaners made up the nose and whiskers. Minimal sewing was involved with each costume and I used some Velcro squares to attach fabrics.
I think the boys look pretty good!







No comments: