Saturday, September 25, 2010

"that" mom

The boys had their football games again today. Luckily, Grammy Linda was visiting and was able to help corral Ewan and Liam so I could see some of Cale's game. He's doing okay. I think he's learning more every time he practices and plays in a game. His coach, who is nice, said he thinks Cale is learning to be more aggressive on the field. That's not neccesarily a bad thing, especially since I see him playing against kids whose parents are yelling at them to tackle other players and getting aggression drilled into their heads. It's K-2 flag football, give me a break. But, Cale is excited to go and be a part of the team. He gets to play pretty much all the time. It seems the teams have about the same number of kids on them.




And, what of Marcus, you ask? Well, after Cale's game, I took Linda, Cale, Ewan and Liam back to the house. I got back to the field at the start of half-time. Marcus has typically played 2 quarters a game, usually the 2nd and 4th. So, no worries, right? I would get to see him play before the game is over. Well....the coach never put him back in! Let me say that I was more than a little frustrated. Especially since in the previous games he had been making sure Marcus got in. Now, Marcus wasn't the only one. There was another boy who say out the entire 2nd half too. In the previous games, the coach had been switching out Marcus and this boy with another set of less experienced players. I do not have a problem with this. What I have a problem with is hardly letting them get a chance to play at all! How can they learn the game, if they are sitting on the sidelines? I know that Marcus is not as good of a player as some of the older, more experienced kids-I am a realist. I just want him to get more chances to participate on game day. Needless to say, this crazy redhead was ready to go up to the coach right after the game and inquire on his coaching strategy. You know, "that" parent. Well, I didn't want to be "that" mom-the one that badgers the coach about every decision they make regarding the running of the team/game/pratice. Fortunately (I guess/I hope), my common sense told me to calm down, go home and talk to the coach at practice on Monday. What's done is done. Now, I'm curious to know why.

No comments: