Wednesday, September 22, 2010

my new gig

I have a new prn (as needed) job-school nurse! I applied for a substitute nurse position in our school district last spring (thought it would be good resume padding), did the background check and then, never heard from anyone. Did I pass the background check? Was there some mark from my past against me? (not likely, folks) Anyway, then summer came, and I totally forgot about it. A few weeks ago, the nursing director called me to see if I was still interested. I came in and oriented to the middle school (6th-8th grade) and the primary school (preK-2nd). It was totally easy and the hardest part was just learning the paperwork system. Since then, I have been able to sub at the primary school twice. And, let me tell you, that it is cake! compared to my other job (peds icu). Each day that I worked, I saw between 12-15 kids. Total, I sent 1 kid home, called 1 parent, gave tylenol twice, cleaned some cuts, gave out some ice pack and let kids rest for 20 minutes with a cool washcloth to their forehead. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. They're needing the sub nurses more right now, because they are down a school nurse. The high school nurse quit after the start of the school year and the district is looking for a replacement. Let me tell you, I thought about applying for it-no weekends, no holidays and summers off. But, I would miss mornings with Ewan and Liam and I would make the same as I make now working 2 nights a week. So, I am content to sub and appreciate what I have. Marcus and Cale are tickled pink that I am in their building. Neither have come to see me yet and they would rather ride the bus than have me drive them to or from school. I have a feeling that I take a distant second to trading pokemon cards on the bus :-).

No comments: