Wednesday, September 29, 2010

preschool apple orchard field trip

Time for the preschool's yearly trip to the apple orchard. I can't count the number of times we have been here. Previous years can be found here and here. This year, it was just Ewan's turn to go with Liam along for the ride. It was great weather for the trip and I think the kids enjoyed themselves. They got to see the apple washing machine, a big apple refrigerator, a pretend bee hive (learned about bees) and a tour of the apple orchard where they got to pick their own apple.

Just a shout out to Farlow Orchard, outside of Kokomo. They are patient with the kids and seem to enjoy having little ones to show around. Their apples are good, too :-).


Was Liam the happiest camper? No. Even though he's small, Liam knows the drill when it comes to apple orchards. "Let me down so I can get an apple!", seems to be what he was yelling. He knew he got to pick one, and more importantly eat it!


Ewan rode in the tractor with the other students, while I followed behind with Liam in the stroller.


Thank goodness! Finally, we were able to pick ourselves an apple! Of course, it immeadiately went into his mouth....just for a taste, then he wanted to pick another. He was a little disappointed when I pointed out that we could each only have one. :-(



"Ewan, come here and let me take a picture of you with your apple!"


Back in the tractor wagon, waiting for the other kids, Liam got brave and started to walk around. It's much less scary when the engine in not on.


Ewan and a buddy from his class.
After the field trip, I was able to bribe Ewan into just going home (instead of going back to preschool for an apple snack) with a trip to McDonalds-our very favorite restaurant. Ewan just wanted some french fries and that is what he and Liam got, plus some apple juice. And folks, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it, but that is what they ate for lunch-fries and apples with some milk before nap time to chase it down. So healthy, I know.
I also have to share that I'm pretty sure that Ewan's preschool class thinks that Liam's actually name is "Cocoabean". That is a pet name that Ewan started calling Liam out of the blue and for some reason, it has stuck. We all call him "Cocoa" or "Cocoabean" from time to time. So, when the kids heard Ewan calling Liam this, I'm sure they thought it was his name. And, Liam responds to it! It's something that is cute now, but will probably embarrass Liam when he's older. :-)

No comments: