Friday, January 23, 2015

Random basketball update

Can't believe I haven't mentioned how basketball is going.  And, since I'm up with the boys before school, I have a chance to be on the computer.  So, here we go folks...

Marcus has been playing 6th grade ball.  The school has an A team and B team. Marcus plays are fair amount of time with the B team.  He has gotten better as the season has gone on.  His season is almost over.  He has a game tonight, Thursday, a tournament Saturday and one more game next Wednesday.  I think both the A and B teams win most of their games.  I honestly don't know.

Cale is on a 4th/5th grade rec team.  Their name is the Pacers.  The 4th/5th grade teams are called by NBA names.  I think right now his team in 3-1.  It's always fun to watch Cale play.  He gets a little tired of my unsolicited advice so I try not to yell too loud.  He can shut down most of the starters for the 4th grade travel team, which makes me a little proud, since Cale doesn't get a lot of playing time of the travel team.  And, Cale is playing travel ball again.  Still not seeing the floor a whole lot.  We finally asked the coach what he would like Cale to improve on.  It's a start.  I do feel the players are all pretty equal, but whatever.  Cale likes it and it's more practice time for him.  I think the travel team has won 3 games.  The only kid that could really shoot the ball moved away, and since no other players were every developed as shooters.... One more regular season game, a week off and then tourney play starts.  I'm hoping for a fast out.  Shame on me, I know.

Ewan is on a 2nd grade rec team.  I think their name is Auburn.  Their record is 2-1 or 3-1.  There are four teams for 2nd grade ball.  I think he's having fun.  I have seen an improvement in Ewan's playing.  Ewan will tell you that his best sport is soccer, but I wonder if that is because he is not actually playing that sport right now.  Of course, Ewan would probably rather not play a sport and just spend his time in imagination play.  But, on the other hand, I know that he likes and wants to be as good at sports as his brothers.  Ewan is also playing on the 2nd grade travel team.  10 kids tried out, and 10 kids made the team.  He is not the strongest player, by far, but he sees a good amount of playing time in each game.  The league they are in is not very challenging, and Ewan's team, all the players, have been playing organized ball since kindergarten.  Next year, the team will be in the Indy Hoops league, which will be tougher.  Will Ewan be a part of that team?  Who knows.

Liam just started team practices and games a few weeks ago.  I should know, since I am his coach.  A  moment of weakness made me offer myself to coach these small folk.  The team is 0-2 and I will be surprised and excited if we win a game.  For all the assistant coach and I do in practice, the kids can't seem to remember that it's okay to catch a rebound.  They also forget to move around on offense.  And, sometimes, can't remember how to guard the other team.  We also aren't great scorers.  Liam sporadically participates in practices.  I think it's because he is just not very coordinated and basketball is hard for him so he doesn't want to try (might have gotten that from his mother).  But, he likes the idea of being on the team and I can convince him to play in the games if there is a promise of a snack afterwards.  But, the kids seem to be having fun, and I know that 's the most important thing.  But, I'm competitive.  A win would be nice, too.

Rec league goes through most of February.  This weekend, we have a bunch of games.  Saturday Marcus has his tourney, Ewan has 2 games, Cale has 1 game and Liam has a double header.  Then Saturday Cale plays his last regular season travel game.  Busy, busy.

My goal is to maybe take some pictures, since I just realized I have none to share right now.


No comments: