Thursday, January 22, 2015

Is this how "'normal" people live?

I am up and it is 7:22 a.m.  I am not up because I am at work, but I am up because I have to be.  And, right now is pretty much my only chance to use the computer without fear of children wanting to use it and/or trying to touch all the buttons.  Andy is almost half-way through a 6 week period of working daytime hours.  Or, as this chronically night shift person calls them: daywalker hours.  It's a hard thing to get used to, for me, at least.  My best friend, coffee, is a big help to keep me going.  Here's one, big, run-on paragraph of our day.

Andy leaves a little before 7 and then I see Marcus off to school.  The other boys trickle downstairs to watch a cool PBS show "Odd Squad" that comes on at 7.  They eat breakfast and get ready to leave for school by 8:15.  Then, it's time for the girls.  If they haven't stayed up late or woken up in the middle of the night, the ladies are usually up right after the boys leave.  They have probably been awake for a little while because when I walk in, they are chatting with each other.  We come downstairs and start our day.  We are slow movers here and it usually takes us a good hour and a half to eat breakfast and put on daytime clothes.  We like to watch PBS and play with toys.  2 days of the week are preschool for Kella.  Sometimes, we are actually on time. (that is pretty much when Andy gets the girls up to meet me on my way back from work)  And, that's our morning.  I do try to do some kind of cleaning and laundry as we go.  I might even get ambitious and run an errand or even grocery shop.  The ladies and I have lunch, watch a video, and go upstairs to take a nap-at least Kinley will nap.  Busses drop off the boys in the afternoon and we start our homework and basketball schedules.  With four boys playing, we have something basketball every day of the week.  Then it's dinner and maybe a little relaxing before bedtime.  Andy gets home around 7pm, so he's really gone 12 hours every day.  On nights that I work, Andy is able to be into work a little later and leaves after I get home.  Yes, I have to stay up all morning then, but I do it a fair amount, so it's not too hard.

3 more weeks and then I think we will be back to our "normal" schedule.  At least for a bit.  I do hope, and pray for Andy to find a job where he can use his master's degree, and if it involves working daytime hours, that is fine by me.


No comments: