Friday, June 7, 2013

Welcome to the world Kinley Esther!

I had a check-off list of "things that needed to be done" before Kinley was born.  And, even though I had an induction date set (June 4th), after the last item on my list was checked off (Ewan's tee-ball game, cancelled), Kinley decided we were ready for her.  I guess she wanted to be a May baby like her sister.

Labor and delivery (you can skip this if you want, I'm writing this down for memory's sake)

My water broke a little after 5pm, I met up with Andy at 5:35 and we finished the drive to the hospital.  I had called the doctor on the way and got admitted into a delivery room, bypassing triage.  We probably got there a little after 6pm and spent the first hour with the admitting nurse getting orders in the computer, starting an IV and (in my opinion) moving slowly (slowly for me).  Finally, I got her to start running IV fluids so anesthesia could be called for an epidural.  Shift change.  The oncoming nurse worked a little faster and anesthesia came in to start the epidural.  That took a little longer than normal since I had contractions probably about every 3 minutes and it was tough to stay in the position the doctor needed.  Then, she needed another sterile drape for my back (*sigh).  Finally, the epidural went in and I got to lay back and wait for some pain relief.  It didn't come.  So much pain in my lower back that I could. not. get. comfortable.  The poor anesthsiologist gave me extra medicine at least twice with no change.  During this time, Kinley had a couple dips in her heartrate. I was laying on my side, eyes closed, unable to do anything but moan through the contractions that were every minute and a half to two minutes.  And, then, in walks in my doctor.  "Has anyone checked her?", he asked.  Well, no because the resident the nurse had paged at least twice, had finally come in right with my doctor.  Anyway, I don't think anyone was surprised that when the doctor checked.."well, look the head is right there.  Let's have a baby."  I pushed through three contractions (during which 1. my eyes were shut the entire time because the contractions were painful back contractions and 2. I remember my doctor saying "you're going to have to do better than that").  On the third contraction, Kinley was born! (I remember feeling that "pop" as she came out, and then the pain of labor was over) I remember thinking she was bigger than I thought she would be.  And, she was almost 9 pounds.  After my quick labor, I had an uneventful recovery before we went to our room on the family care unit where I work (we got one of the suites, sometimes it helps to have connections)

Kinley Esther
born May 31st at 8:27 pm
8 pounds, 15 ounces
20.5 inches long

she has a lot of hair!

first picture with Mommy

with Mommy and Daddy

first picture with Daddy
Posted by Picasa

No comments: