Thursday, August 4, 2011

we survived VBS!

The first thing that August brought us was 4 days of vacation bible school. We started on Sunday night and ended on Wednesday evening. I think the kids all had fun, including baby Kella, who got held by many willing ladies. Our theme was "God makes me incredible" and the skits everynight starred some well-known cartoon movie stars. From a Bible story standpoint, we learned about Saul's transformation to Paul and how incredible God made him. For the 4th year, I taught (?)/babysat (?) the 2 and 3 year old class. I always hope they can remember something about the Bible story, but really, they are 2 and 3 years old. My standards are pretty low. My class had anywhere from 6-10 kids that were pretty well-behaved for 2 & 3's. This year, Liam was in my class, too. He did okay-he's a very young 2 who is also very familiar with the church building. He liked to try to wander off and do his own thing. Luckily, everyone knew who he belonged to and he always made his way back.
It was a lot of work getting everyone to church early to eat dinner and do what prep needed done. I was definitely tired when I got home each evening. It's worth it, though when I see how excited they get to go (except for Marcus the last night when he had to go up on stage, but he survived, and really, he was smiling with his classmates before they went up there, so I guess he wasn't too "scared").

Here's Liam, post Wednesday night performance. The younger kids all got capes. They were all excited and Liam wore his the rest of the night. He also was way excited about his "incredibles" shirt. He didn't want to take it off, so he wore it to bed.

I bet you can barely see this, but it is thedoor to my classroom. Every year, several teachers take great pride in decorating their doors. Every year, I stress over what to do with mine. This year, my door was an island volcano. I contracted the work to 2 high school kids. They did a great job!

My boys-post Wed night. We made it through late bedtimes and daily drives to church. Our schedules got a little altered, but we had fun. Check another thing off our to-do list for the summer.

No comments: