Tuesday, June 8, 2010

we found a free community garden!

Our "forced" evening walk yesterday took us to the free community garden at the church in front of our subdivision. My neighbor had reminded me that it was there and she mentioned that there was plenty of lettuce for the taking and maybe some strawberries too. The boys liked the adventure of finding the garden and searching for strawberries-which I let them eat as soon as they found them since the berries were pretty small. I got some awesome romaine and leaf lettuce. Salads will be on the menu at the Shaffer house for a while! I had thought about doing a garden this year, or at least some tomatoes in those upside down hanging things, but it was going to be too much work. Let's be honest, I'm hoping just hoping my flowers we planted survive. So, to have a garden nearby that someone else is doing the work in is fantastic. And, the boys get the experience of being able to pick the veggies and watch the plants grow. We will be back throughout the summer!

Lettuce!



Looking for strawberries-the boys found little, ripe ones. I think the plants had already been picked clean by others.




They liked the frames for the beans and the wire tee-pee looking things. I can't wait for the boys to see the plants growing up them.

No comments: