Friday, August 8, 2008

While Daddy's away

Football 2-a-days started this week, along with other high school sports. Consequently, Andy has been extremely busy and is pretty much working all day, every day. Quite the change from the rest of the summer, where he didn't have to go into work too much. This is familiar territory for me, because this happens every year in August.

So, on Wednesday, the boys and I went to Chuck E Cheese's for a birthday party. I have never taken them here before. Mostly, because I remember CEC being dark, crowded, and loud. But, this CEC was very well lit and had lots of room. The party was at 4 in the afternoon, so I'm sure that helped too. They had a blast, and it took them forever to use their tokens up. I started handing them out to other kids to run through them faster.

This afternoon, I was on the phone with Andy's mom. As soon as I got off the phone, Cale comes up to me and says "I have something in my nose".
I said " Go get a kleenex and blow your nose".
Then, I said, (this must have been intuition) "Cale, what's in your nose?"
"Popcorn"
A peek into his nostril showed me a popcorn kernal. All I could think was, I hope it doesn't get sucked into his lungs and he aspirates on it. I ran to get the tweezers, but I couldn't really get behind the kernel to get it out. So, I had Cale blow "bubbles" like they're taught in swim lessons. That moved the kernal far enough forward that I could push it out of his nose from the outside. Lucky for us, no trip to the doctor. I said, "Cale, how did the kernel get your nose? Did you put it in your mouth?"
"uh-huh"
"Did you put it in your nose?"
"uh-huh"
So much for a straightforward answer.

For some reason, Cale is the one these kind of "adventures" happen to. He was the first one to get stiches (at 2 1/2 years old). I am predicting that he will be the first one with a broken bone. Not because he's reckless, but just because he's Cale. I can't explain it better than that.

1 comment:

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

I tagged you on my blog! Come play along, and be sure to link back to me!