Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Halloween time

Not gonna lie, Halloween is my least favorite holiday.  I hate the costumes.  I hate handing out candy.  Andy's friend was right when he said this holiday doesn't make sense.  364 days of the the year we tell our kids not to talk to strangers and not to take candy from people they don't know.  Then, Halloween comes and all bets are off.  

But, I have children.  And, they like Halloween.  And, I try to do the least amount of work as possible.  And, Andy was gone for the weekend, so I couldn't even complain to him.

The first time this fall the kids got some carmel apples. (Or, the only time this fall that Cale will eat an apple.)

Kella sat by herself.

Once we had some sugar, it was time to carve some pumpkins.  I waited until Halloween to go looking for pumpkins to buy.  Guess what?  The stores were wiped out.  Lucky for us, we had aquired several pumpkins throughout the month of October that were begging to be carved.  The big three did most of the work on their own pumpkins.  I even had the carving tools from last year to use.

Liam with his pumpkin. Liam was pretty excited to bring home a pumpkin from school.  The class had been studying the pumpkins and the top was already cut open for me.  Liam named the pumpkin Steve.  Steve got carved.


Five little pumpkins, all in a row.
Ewan, Kella, Liam (Steve), Marcus and Cale

Then it was time to assemble costumes.  I pretty much made the kids make costumes from the supply of dress up gear that we have.  Ewan spend some of his money on the Chewbacca mask and nerf crossbow.  Otherwise, I just ended up buying a few accessories.  

We have Vampire Cale, Butterfly Kella,  Hobo Marcus, Fastboy Liam (he made up his own superhero name) and Chewbacca Ewan.

And, then Kinely.  I took her to the girls closet and held up princess dresses until she picked one.  Kinley has a thing for pink right now.  I decided to sport my Doctor Who scarf.  The weather was ick.  I figured it would keep me warm.

Fastboy, me and Princess Kinley

Time to walk.  We went to the front of the subdivision for a trunk-or-treat to start with.  The weather was decent for about 30 minutes and then it got more overcast and windy.  Typical.

Here are the girls, ready to travel in style.

 There are four streets in our subdivision. We did 1 and a half before most of our party was ready to go home.  It was windy and starting to sprinkle-rain this year and not snow.  I let Cale walk to rest by himself since he was pumped to go to the house that gives out the big candy bars.  

And, being best mom ever, I let my kids eat bunches of candy and watch Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. We chased that with some hot chocolate (Liam might have coughed up some hot chocolate-I think we filled his sugar hole to the top) and the last half of LOTR: Return of the King.  All tucked with the fireplace on, it was quite cozy.

No comments: