Sunday, December 16, 2012

Santa Hustle


Sometimes, when you work night shift, things sometimes seem like a really good idea at 2am.

This time, it was.

My friend and I decided to sign up for two 5K races this fall.  Back in August, we had lots of good intentions about exercising and showing off our progress with these races.

Then, I hurt my back and ended up going to the chiropractor several times a week.  No running for me.  And my friend wasn't doing that great with her running program.  Needless to say, the first 5K came, and neither of us were prepared for it at all.  We made promises to do the next one-a race where you got to dress up like Santa Claus.

I still wasn't looking forward to getting up and driving to downtown Indy for the race.  And I still hadn't run since September.  But, I also knew my friend hadn't been running either.  If she hadn't have picked up my race packet, I probably wouldn't have gone.  But, she did, and we made plans to walk the course.  At least it would be nice to see each other and get good exercise.  Another friend from my old unit was there, too.

For the midwest in December, the weather was fantastic.  Partially cloudy, slight breeze, 50 degrees.  We wore our awesome gear and had a great walk.  That's the most exercise I've had in a long time, which is not something I'm proud to admit.

A great morning with some good friends!
pre-race me, Kelly and Rachel
as part of your race packet, you got a beard and hat


post-race
we ran the last 0.2 miles to say that we actually ran across the finish line

I think we're going to sign up for another race-maybe one on St. Patrick's Day

No comments: