Friday, October 19, 2012

Because it was too quiet here...

Our house was hit by lightening on Wednesday.

The boys, their friend and I were downstairs when we heard two really loud "cracks" back to back and saw a flash. Things started beeping, and in a poltergeist-like scene, the refrigerator start spewing water from its spout. I wasn't too sure of the damage, so I made the kids put on their shoes while I ran upstairs to get napping Kella. The boys and friend were visably shaken. There were some tears and panicking. I walked around the house and did not see any signs of fire or smoke. Back inside, I tried to reassure the kids and them turned to the next problem-the fridge fountain. I ended up unplugging the fridge so it would stop shooting water out. Next, the shrill, continuos beep coming from behind the television. I couldn't reach it, but Andy, who came home early to help us, figured out it was a surge protector that gave its life to save the tv.

After all was said and done, our daged list wasn't very long...
2 cable boxes and the Internet router (already fixed by Comcast)
1 DVD player
The wii
The home phone
Our wireless modem
Our behemoth of an old computer
Our refrigerator of 2 years- thankfully, we have a freezer in the garage that we put the frozen goods in, and our neighbor gave us an empty fridge she had in her garage for us to save our other food.

Needless to say, we filed a claim with our insurance. Right now, we are waiting for repairs to he made to our fridge to see if it can be saved or if it needs replaced.

I'm ready for some peace and quiet now.

And, I'm incredibly thankful that the damage was very small and we were all kept safe.

10/21/12 add furnace circuit board to the list of lightening damaged items-good thing it's going to be warm next week!

No comments: