Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 1, in the books

I started my new job yesterday.

About a month ago, I saw a position available for night shift in the family care unit (post partum) at Women's hospital (part of the same system I already worked for). I went ahead and applied even though I was happy where I was at in the PICU and wasn't really looking for a change.

The interview went great and I felt like the director really liked me.

A few days later, I had a job offer. I said yes! It felt so nice to be wanted. I don't know what the difference was between this and other interviews I've had, maybe this was meant to be.

Of course, I felt horrible telling my manager, like I was being some kind of traitor by wanting to leave. She understood that I just needed to go and experience some different nursing areas. I like to say that this little bird needs to see what else is out there before she decides where to roost.

I got my release date to the new unit, and broke the news to my coworkers. They took it well. I only got called a traitor a few times, shunned by a couple of people and told I would hate it by several more friends.

It's nice to be loved.

Tuesday, I oriented to day shift in the new unit. The day turned out to be busy with Tasksy things. Admission, discharges, healthy moms and babies. Definitely had a different work flow feeling than PICU. But, it was nice. Different, but nice. I hope I am happy here. My old manager told me I could come back if I hate it and I am well aware of the "boomerang" affect of the PICU. Of course, I cant cut ties completely, I said I would try to stay prn in PICU. Hopefully that works out so I can keep my critical care skills sharp.

Next shift is Friday, day, and then I go to nights. I'm on orientation into unt the middle of October and then I'm on my own.

No comments: