Friday, May 11, 2012

introduction to a new game

Saturday, I introduced Marcus and Cale (and Ewan a little) to the exciting  (?) game of Risk.  I've been waiting for a while for them to be old enough to understand the basic rules of the game.  I have to admit, they did pretty well with figuring out how to play.  We got in about an hour and a half of playing time before Kella woke up.  It was rough at first, the first time Cale lost one of his territories.  But, he managed to come back strong and take over the entire North American continent.  Marcus had decent control of South America and Africa and I was holed up in Australia.  I have to admit, that I was getting beat.  But, by the end of the game, I was on the verge of a comeback (against a 8 and 7 year old, I know).  Who won?  That was the question on the boys' minds.  I tried to explain how this game could go on a very, very long time until only one person's army had control of everything.  Not good enough.  We needed a winner.  So, we settled on tallying up who had the most territories=Marcus, and who had the most armies=Cale.  Cale has been asking to play it again and I know he wants to go up against Andy.  Of course, this is laying the foundation for other strategy/role playing games I have in mind (Settlers of Catan-can't wait!)

No comments: