Thursday, October 20, 2011

yellow belts!

On Tuesday, Marcus, Cale and Ewan all tested for their yellow belts in karate.  They were pretty excited and for the past week, even Ewan practiced his kata that he would be tested on.  They all got it!  Time to put away the white belts.  Now, Ewan got a yellow striped belt because of his age and Marcus and Cale got a regular yellow belt.  Andy got to see the boys test also, which was nice.

Here is Ewan.  His teacher was very impressed with how hard he tried and was patient with him while testing.

Marcus did great!  Mr. Phifer said that he did one of the best jobs testing for a yellow belt that he had seen.

Cale also did well.  He also liked seeing the students testing for the blue belt get tested for sparing skills.  He is dying to get sparing gear, which we promised him after he got past being a white belt.  I guess it's time to pay up.  (my camera *sigh* cannot handle dim lighting in any setting.  I should have taken all my pictures with my cell phone-like these next three)

Here are the new yellow belts putting on their belts and hiding their old belts in their gi tops.

newly promoted

the newly promoted with Mr. Phifer and Mr. Fulk-two of their teachers

I hope that this is something the boys will keep up with.  I read a statistic that 1 in 500 students that start karate will achieve black belt status.  I don't know how far the boys will get, but it would definitely be cool if they kept up their classes for a while.  They have really enjoyed their classes and I know they are proud of getting their yellow belts!

No comments: