Thursday, September 29, 2011

let the scouting begin!

We started a new adventure on Wednesday-Marcus and Cale joined Cub Scouts!  We've been thinking about doing this for a while and signed them up for the pack that meets at our church.  It's not the closest group to our house, but it's the one that works best with our schedule since we already have Wednesday nights blocked for church.  When we first told the boys we had signed them up for Scouts, Cale was excited.  He likes to be part of a group and to get to wear a uniform to make him look special was an extra bonus.  Marcus, on the other hand, promptly told us that he hated Scouts and did not want to do it.  He hated everything about it and it was the "worst day of his life" (exact quote).  We kind of ignored this outburst (okay, we just ignored it) and didn't bring up the subject again for a couple days.  I guess that didn't matter, because the next time we mentioned it, again, major drama.  In fact, I was a little worried about how Wednesday night would go until I saw Marcus and Cale comparing their handbooks yesterday morning.  No tears, no drama.  That afternoon, he willingly put on his scout shirt.  In fact, he was happy to go and had a blast at the meeting (probably because they practiced bike safety in the pouring rain and then got to ride the bikes in the gym).  You know, that is just Marcus's personality.  He has to be given plenly of warning before a new activity starts.  Now, he will probably have lots of fun and really enjoy himself. 

And, Cale?  Well, I think Cale had some fun too.  Turns out, I got slightly guilted into being the den leader for his group-the Tiger Cubs.  I agreed to do it because they had no one signed up to do it and I was told it was a lot of delegation of activities to the parent helpers.  (I do like to delegate).  We didn't do as cool as an activity as bike riding, though.  Our topic was family and we worked on starting a scrapbook :-).  Last night, I had three Tiger Cubs in my group, plus Ewan, Liam and Kella (my honorary scouts).  The meeting went okay and after some remedial scout counseling by one of the pack leaders, I am starting to have a clearer picture of what I should be doing.  And, Andy is helping as he can-which I am thankful for. 

This should be a fun year!

No comments: