Thursday, July 28, 2011

I forgot to include this story in our Chicago trip

(I forgot to include this story when I was posted the blog about going to Lincoln Park Zoo.)

We stayed in Schaumberg overnight after the cousins' reunion. I missed the window to low-ball an offer for hotel rooms on Priceline, so I looked on hotels.com and found pretty good prices for 2 rooms. Turns out, the hotel was right across the street from IKEA and the mall. We did not get to go to either place. Bummer.
We split the fam into 2 teams. Team 1 was Andy, Marcus, Cale and Ewan. They took the room on the 5th floor. (I didn't even think to call the hotel and request adjoining rooms.) Team 2 was Liam, Kella and me in the 4th floor room. After the reunion, we came back to team 2's room, had a snack, managed to warm some milk for Ewan and Liam (giving the cups a hot water bath) and watch part of Despicable Me. After that, Andy took the bigger boys upstairs and Liam watched some more of the movie. When the battery ran out (it was our portable DVD player), I put Liam in the pack-n-play. He did great! He settled in with his blankie and pillow pet and went to sleep happily. I nursed Kella and she eventually fell asleep.
The rooms aren't soundproof, and I could here what sounded like kids playing in the next room and people running down the hallway. So, I kind of wasn't surprised when, around 1 am, the fire alarm went off. I wasn't too sure what to think, but I was a little skeptical. I had just finished feeding Kella, so I put her in her carseat and strapped her in case we needed to get out. I got my sandals on and made sure my purse and diaper bag where ready to go. I decided to let Liam sleep until I knew for sure what was going on. I looked in the hallway and didn't smell smoke and no one was running or yelling fire. Andy came down to my room with the boys. I said that I wasn't going anywhere unless it's neccessary. Andy decided to go downstairs to see what was going on and took Marcus and Cale with him. I'm sure they thought that this was a fun adventure. Ewan came into my room and fell asleep in one of the beds.
While Andy was gone, the alarms in our area shut off but I could still here them coming from another part of the hotel. I called the front desk (maybe I should have done that sooner) to ask what was going on. They said that their techinicians had isolated the problem and there was no fire. Andy came back up and collected Ewan and everyone went back to bed. Liam slept through all the noise. Maybe that's why he woke up at 530am the next morning ready to go. I can't remember why the fire alarms went off: it was either that someone broke a sprinkler head in their room or a flat iron somehow set it off.

And that is that :-)
Goodnight!

No comments: