Sunday, April 5, 2009

Marcus's prayer

I'm always excited when the boys say a bedtime prayer that is a little more specific than the automatic one that rolls off their tongues most nights. The other night, Marcus's prayer contained the phrase "please let me find someone to play with at recess". I guess recess is a tough time for Marcus at school because some kids that he wants to play with don't include him in their games, or change the rules so he's left out. It doesn't help that Marcus is bigger and faster than the other kids he's trying to play with. It hurts to know that kids-kindergarten kids!-are already learning to be exclusive and, in my opinion, hateful (strong words, I know, but it's my kid). Anyway, Andy was there that day and encouraged Marcus to ask another kid to play with him, she did. I just felt bad for Marcus. He said, "It's hard to make friends". My poor boy, my prayer for him is that he does find some nice little guys to play with and that he will try to play with other groups of kids than the ones he knows at school. Just thought I'd share this, it's been on my mind today.

No comments: