Thursday, February 23, 2017

instrumental solo/ensemble contest

More than a couple weeks ago, a week after Cale's vocal contest, our middle schoolers were back at the same place, this time for instrumental solo/ensemble contest.  Cale's first year and Marcus's third year-because they have a pushy momma who thinks it's a great idea to perform in front of other people. Cale did a solo and did an ensemble with the other 2 6th grade French horn players.  Marcus did a solo-he never did get around to finding some friends for an ensemble.  Once again, I had the privilege to accompany both of the boys' solos.   
Cale performed Surprise Symphony.  A nice, short, 2 page piece. I may have forced him to practice every night to make sure he could hit all the notes.


Cale's hard work paid off-gold rating for his first time out!  I know he was very relieved.

My dear Marcus picked a rondo by Mozart.  This piece was originally for French horn (maybe Cale will play the piece one day).  It was a fast piece that had eight! pages of accompaniment for me to sweat through.  And, I did. 


An attempt at an artful picture. 😄

Ah-brothers.

Marcus's hard work paid off, too-another gold rating!  I wish I could say his accompanist played as well as Marcus did-that would not be true.  Thankfully, the accompanist does not get scored although I did tell Marcus that if he picks a piece like that again, I will not play for him.   

And the 6th grade French horn ensemble.  They sounded great in warm-up, but had some challenges during performance that earned them a silver rating.  Can't say they were happy, but I think they were all glad to be done.


As was I-glad to be done with solo contest for the year.

No comments: