Saturday, January 25, 2014

becoming Ben Franklin

Marcus's class, along with a couple others, had a wax museum on Thursday.  The kids dressed up has different famous folk from history.  His class dressed as heroes from the Revolutionary War and Marcus, specifically, was Benjamin Franklin.  The kids each had a little bit they said for the visitors-other classes and parents.  I thought it was very cute and I bet the kids learned at least a little something about history.  

Marcus knew B.F. well.  I would quiz him on the way to and from basketball practices, asking him to tell me something cool about Ben.  Marcus was always able to give me a new fact.  He was pretty involved with the costume process, too.  Marcus did not want to be the older, plumper, balder Ben.  He opted for the younger Ben.  While I thought he should still wear a wig-I thought everyone wore powdered wigs-Marcus shot me down on that plan.  We went to Goodwill to get the costume pieces: a white button down shirt that's a little big so it can be puffy in the arms, a vest with a design on it, some black capri sweats that we tucked into some black basketball socks for the appearance to knickers and tights, and some women's shoes with a little bit of a heel.  I think we forgot to cut out buckles for the shoes, but it looked pretty good all put together.  I also took and old cowboy had we had and attempted to make it a tri-something hat-one with three points on it.  Marcus made himself a kite with a key attached as part of his costume, too.  Marcus was pleased with the results and he looked pretty good at the wax museum.  He also had some of Ben's quotes to pass out to visitors.

Liam was pretty excited once we got there to see Marcus.  He had to drag a chair over to sit down next to him.  Marcus wouldn't smile for the pictures.  He said B.F. never smiled.  I don't know about that...

Kella needed her turn, too.

And, I needed my picture with B.F.!

No comments: