Friday, November 19, 2010

adventures with e-z meals

A few weeks ago, I signed up with a website called e-z meals.com. It's a site that gives you a weekly menu and shopping list at the grocery store of your choice. The idea is that you will save money on your grocery bill if you go shopping armed with a very precise grocery list. That way, you won't be grabbing a lot of "impulse buys". It was $15 to get a 3 month membership. But, it is endorsed by one of my favorite people-Dave Ramsey.

So, I joined. I printed out my 2 weeks worth of menus and lists. I went to the store. I bought all the items. I still spent about the same amount as I usually do. This menu planner does not count breakfast or lunch. Anyway, almost 2 weeks have past, and I have not made any meals from the plan!

Until last night. In a desparate attempt to use the food in the house and not make a fast-food run, I picked an easy looking recipe that I thought might go over okay with most of the kids. It was a breakfast pizza made with a wheat crust (store-bought), cheese, bacon, tomato, and egg. It only took maybe 30 mins total to make and cook.

It was not met with excitement at the table. Cale immediately started crying because there were tomatoes on it. He must have thought I was trying to poison him. I tried to explain that regular pizza uses tomatoes, too. He wasn't into listening. Marcus picked at his pizza. I appreciate that he made an effort with out complaining. Ewan, my vegitable eater, ate his whole piece and Liam barely touched his. Although, in Liam's defense, I did feed him about 10 cherry tomatoes right before dinner. He kept coming back for more. Andy ate the rest when he got home and also liked it. I rate this as a success. Even though this new recipe scared the kids, I think it's one I will use again.

I may cancel this subscription. I can't tell if it's really going to save us any money. But, at least I will get three months of new recipes to try.

No comments: